Do you live in the Northern Virginia region and are looking for an opportunity to serve your community? The Plains Volunteer Fire Company offers flexible volunteer Fire & EMS opportunities for all experience levels. TPVFC volunteers come from all walks of life and live in many parts of the region including the counties of Fauquier, Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, Culpeper, Warren and Frederick
We are always looking for members to serve in a variety of roles. If you have the desire to actively serve your community and are interested in joining our organization, we encourage you to contact our Membership team. Please read about the ways you can become part of our family.
Volunteering at The Plains Volunteer Fire Company comes with many great benefits that include:
- Personal property tax relief on one vehicle for members living in the Town of The Plains or Fauquier County.
- Free Fire & EMS training classes
- A sense of pride.
- A flexible schedule for work-life balance.
- Great opportunity for career growth
Operational Members (Class A/B)
The department’s focus is providing fire suppression, rescue, and emergency medical services to the community at large. Our Operational Members are on the front line providing these services as Firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians. The time commitment is considerable, but so is the satisfaction you’ll receive!
- Membership averages a minimum of 40 hours each month, including
- Duty Crews – You will become a part of a duty crew which typically will be from 1800-0600 on weeknights and when available on weekends.
- Must attend at least 6 company business meetings each year. They are always the second Monday of every month at 1930
- Required training classes:
- CPR – Renewed Annually
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Training
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Initial Training
- Firefighter Level 1 and 2 or EMT-Basic Certification (140 + hours) (you are welcome and encouraged to do both, but must complete at least one)
Non-Operational Members (Class C)
There are also a number of administrative responsibilities that must be accomplished aside from active operational duties. We are in need of Administrative Members with experience in, or a desire to help with:
- Fund Raising Activities
- Office Skills
- Recruitment Activities
General Membership Requirements (applies to Operational AND Administrative Members)
The general requirements for membership, as described by our bylaws, are paraphrased below:
- Any person 16 years or older in good health
- A candidate must be free from:
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Use of drugs other than for treatment as prescribed by a licensed doctor of medicine
- Dishonorable discharge or release for cause from any police department, fire department or any armed forces.
- Any Criminal offense as described by the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services
- All applicants shall demonstrate that they are either
- A full-time student
- Gainfully employed (including work inside or outside the home)
- Provide a copy of your driving record, drivers license, and birth certificate
- Successfully pass a criminal background check conducted by Fauquier County Fire and Rescue Association
- Successfully complete a Fauquier County Fire and Rescue Association provided physical
- Successfully complete their probationary requirements as outlined in the TPVFC Bylaws